ATTENDS INAUGURATION OF PRESIDENT FARRAND

President Lowell Bears Greetings of Eastern Colleges to New Head of Cornell--Over a Hundred Universities and Colleges Send Delegates

President Lowell brought the official greetings of the eastern colleges and universities to Dr. Livingston Farrand yesterday afternoon when the latter was inaugurated President of Cornell. The presidents of fifty other colleges and universities from all parts of the country were also present, while over a hundred sent delegates to the inauguration.

In opening his message of greetings, President Lowell said: "To these festivities I am charged to bring the greetings of the older eastern universities. But the message that I bear to this great seat of learning, of congratulation for the work that it has done, of confidence in that which it will do, is shared by every college and every scholar in the land. No different greeting can be brought where all must think alike."

After discussing the place of the institutions of learning in the community, he said, "The various institutions have different things to give; but each gives what he can, thankful that others give what it has not; for all the colors of the spectrum must be blended to make the pure, white light.

He whose light is partial see partially. He whose light is dim sees faintly. Any one has light enough to be visionary, but only he that clearly sees, can see a vision. It is for all the watch-towers of learning so to throw their rays upon the path of life that our people may have clear, white light to guide them on their way.

President Farrand: I know not whether we should most congratulate you, or Cornell University, or the country."