RADICALLY CHANGED CRIMSON ELEVEN TO OPPOSE PENN STATE

SECOND TEAM DEMONSTRATES PENN STATE PLAYS

A strenuous singal and dummy scrimmage drill, coupled with an exhibition of Penn State plays by Coach Knox's second team, were the main features of the University football practice on Soldiers Field yesterday. The black-jerseyed players came in near the close of the afternoon and, for the benefit of the Crimson squad, went through a dozen or more of the most probable plays which tomorrow Stadium invaders will uncover. No regular scrimmage was held with the scrubs.

The eleven men whom Coach Fisher will probably start against Penn State tomorrow will differ radically in their personnel from the team which took the field against Georgia last week. The new make-up of the Crimson combination has come party on account of injuries and partly because the coaching staff was not satisfied with the showing made by several men in last Saturday's struggle and in the scrimmages held Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. The shifts in all number six.

Johnson in for Buell

In the backfield Johnson appears for the present to have the edge over Buell, who will probably be held in reserve tomorrow to be sent in when the chances Tomorrow to be sent in when the changes seem bright for a Crimson score through drop-kicking. Owen, who has started every University contest to date this fall, is the only member of the rushing quartet of last week who will be on the field at the opening kick-off. The two halfback positions will be filled by Churchill and Chapin.

Chapin will take the left halfback berth which Jenkins occupied last Saturday. The latter pulled a tendon in Wednesday's scrimmage and will run the risk of a serious injury if he takes an active part in football work before next week. Chapin flashed brilliantly when Coach Fisher sent him in toward the end of the Georgia game and his speed is liable to cause the Penn Staters a good deal of worry if he ever gets started. Churchill has been selected to start in Rouillard's shoes at fullback and may do some of the Crimson punting.

In the line there will be three new faces. Fitts, who scored the only Crimson touchdown against Georgia last week while playing left end, has a bad knee and will not be available tomorrow except in the case of extreme emergency. Janin will probably be the choice for Fitts position with Field. Hartley, and Crosby as other possibilities. Crocker's leg is still bothering him and there is only a slight chance that the veteran end will be able to play.

Coach Fisher has picked Clark as first-string center this week in place of Bradford. Clark has not started a game for the University this fall, having been handicapped for two weeks with an injured leg. He has shown up especially well during the last few days in the scrimmages with the seconds.

The third shift in the University line has been caused by the absence of Grew owing to a severe cold. Hubbard will probably be the choice for the vacant berth at left guard. Tierney and Kane will be in their regular positions at tackle, while Brown will start as usual at right guard.

F. H. Hovey '22, the recently elected captain of the second team, was advanced to Coach Fisher's first squad yesterday. Hovey has proved himself a fast and an elusive back in the scrub practice games with the University and may be given a chance to show his worth in tomorrow's game. Bayard Wharton '22, who has been playing on the second team, has been advised by the Crimson doctors to give up football for the remainder of the season on account of a seriously wrenched and strained back, and accordingly will not take part in further gridiron work this fall