TIGER DEFENSE WEAK AS CHICAGO WINS--ELIS SHOW STRENGTH IN DEFEATING ARMY

Westerners Make Touchdown and Field Goal--Straight Football Used--Kock's Play Proves Disappointing

For the second successive time this season Princeton succumbed to a superior attack on the gridiron, losing to the University of Chicago eleven 9-0 at Palmer Stadium Saturday. The Tiger was out-played and out-fought, and Chicago's goal was never threatened. A drop-kick late in the second quarter and a touchdown from a well-executed pass in the last period gave Chicago the first football victory of a western team over either Princeton, Yale or the University.

Princeton Line Succumbs to Attack

The Maroon attack centered about the line-plunging of her three giant fullbacks, Timme, Thomas and Zorn, who time after time tore through the veteran Princeton line for substantial gains, a thing which football critics had pronounced as impossible. Contrary to expectations few passes were used by the Westerners, the only one completed being that from Cole to Romney, which resulted in the touchdown late in the game.

Chicago registered eighteen first downs to three by Princeton, and even when Garrity, veteran Princeton half, was sent in to try and stem the tide, the Tiger attack pierced the powerful Maroon defence for only a scant fourteen yards.

The Princeton team was doubtless weakened greatly by the absence from the line-up of its star quarter Lourie, but Princeton supporters had expected the Tiger line to bear the attack of the Westerners without a great deal of trouble. The Tiger line fought, and fought hard, but it was outguessed, substantial gains even resulting from plays directed against Captain Kock.

Although a defeat, the game proved conclusively that Princeton will be as formidable an opponent when she faces the University two weeks hence, as she was last year. A full team will have the same fighting offence and defence which has characterized Coach Roper's teams in past seasons. Several men showed that they can well fill the gaps in the Orange and Black ranks, and this, more than anything else is encounraging to the Princeton supporters. Vangerbig proved himself a formidable kicker and an effective runner. Smith, an untried back, performed exceedingly well under pressure, showing that he can be used as a line-plunger when necessity arises.