TRAINING FOR CITIZENSHIP

Yale has established a new department, the School of Citizenship. Just what its functions are to be has not been made clear; but it brings to mind a remark sometimes heard among Yale men, to the effect that Yale trains for citizenship while Harvard trains for scholarship. No doubt this statement is intended somewhat as a slur, and our first impulse is to deny its truth. But second thought suggests that perhaps it is more complimentary than was intended. The question is, simply, What do we mean by citizenship?

In this practical age, we are much inclined to regard good citizenship simply as an active participation in the life of the world as it is--the ability to fit into the general scheme and contribute to the common causes. Efficiency is the pass word, and Intelligence the be-all and end-all, in this conception. This end is obviously worthy, but it is imperfect; mere intelligence is not as great as intellect, and efficiency in itself is not progress. True citizenship in something more than being a "success" in the eyes of what is called the World. It is rather the ability to understand the world and all a place in it, yet to rise above that place with aspirations for something better than the world already has. It is appreciation of what is fine without letting it be obscured by the sordid. It is not more training, but inspiration. These qualities are the attributes of intellect, and they lead to progress. They are to be attained only by that form of mental activity known as scholarship; and we believe that it is the sort of scholarship for which Harvard trains--a scholarship not only of books and individuals, but of citizenship in its broadest sense.