SOCCER MEN OPPOSE PENN.

Red and Blue Eleven is Crimson's First League Opponent This Year--Byington in Forward Line

The University of Pennsylvania, the first league opponent of the University soccer team this year, will meet the Crimson eleven on Soldiers Field at two-thirty this afternoon in what promises to be one of the best exhibitions of the game that will be seen on the University field this season.

Pennsylvania was the winner in the Intercollegiate League last year, and as soccer is a major sport at the University, it usually manages to turn out a team to rank with any of the college elevens in the country. But two veterans will be in the line-up today, however, Captain Patton, left fullback, and Amelia, center halfback, although the other men are halfback, although the other men are experienced-players. The Pennsylvanians have as yet played no intercollegiate games, but two contests, one with Montclari, New Jersey, Athletic Club and the other with the Staten Island Cricket Club, have resulted in losses, 3-2 and 3-1 respectively. This by no means signifies a lack of strength in the Blue and Red, for these two teams are considered the strongest amateur elevens in the East.

The University forward line will be materially strengthened this afternoon by the addition of A. J. Byington '24, who, due to injuries received in the preliminary practices of the season, has been heretofore unable to take his place as a regular. He was one of the strongest of the 1924 players last year, and playing at left inside today, he should prove one of the University's most powerful offensive players. Captain C. W. Heath '22 is still suffering from a bad knee, so that A. K. Murray '23, center halfback, will again serve as acting captain.