A REGISTRAR RAMPANT

Mr. Max McConn was for ten years the registrar of a western state University. As a result of that experience, he has become convinced that the American system of grades, credits, and decrees is a "Meaningless absurdity. His remedy for this unfortunate condition as embodied in an article in the "New Republic" is interesting if not entirely practical. Abolish all grades, all credits, all degrees. In their place substitute "real records" written reports of the student's accomplishment in each course. Then when the student is ready to leave, let him depart with a collection of these report in his pocket.

To serve as an evidence of qualification for a business position is not the primary purpose of college degree. Even if it wear Mr. McConn's collection of degrees would hardly serve as an open sesame to the business world. Suppose a young man hands his prospective employer a record saying that he had done excellent work in Vergil but poorly in the appreciation of music while in anthropology the work was handicapped by intention and tendency to sleep during lectures what does the employer know of the qualifications of that man for a business position? The single course has no more significance to the employer than the all embracing is somewhat indefinite A.B.,

Such a system, moreover, would be subversive of the principle of liberal education. We hear again and again that the object of this education is to train men to think. As itemized statement of the knowledge supposedly to be found in the young graduate's mind would not indicate that that power was to be counted on.