PICK VETERAN HAMMER THROWER TO CAPTAIN UNIVERSITY TRACK MEN

THREW WEIGHT 159 FEET AGAINST OXFORD-CAMBRIDGE TEAM

Balloting to fill the vacancy caused by the graduation of J. R. Tolbert Jr. '22 was completed yesterday with the result that John Fiske Brown '22 of Plymouth has been elected captain of the University track team for the immediate season of 1921-21.

Brown prepared at Andover, where he was a member of the football, wrestling and track teams. He was a member of the Freshman track team in 1919, captain of the Freshman wrestling team and heavyweight wrestling champion of the University. During his sophomore year he was a member of the football and track squads and the wrestling team. On last year's football team he made his letter at right guard and is holding down that position as a regular this fall. Besides being on the football team, he was captain of the University wrestling team, and one of the best point-winners on the track team.

As a hammer-thrower, Brown showed remarkable development under the tutelage of field event coach E. L. Farrell, and by the end of the spring season was recognized as one of the leading weight men in the country. At the beginning of the season 140 feet was his limit, but he increased this distance to 146 feet in the Princeton meet, 149 in the Intercollegiates, and in the Cambridge-Oxford-Harvard-Yale meet he tossed the hammer 159 feet, easily beating Nokes, the Oxford star, and bettering his own previous record by over ten feet.