TO THE SECONDS!

Harvard has met Yale and the season is over. The men who upheld the athletic honor of the University on the field this afternoon received public recognition from thousands; only a few persons know that a considerable share of that recognition belongs to the second team which has disbanded almost unnoticed and perhaps even now is forgotten. Behind the closed gates of the Stadium, it has learned, practised, and put into execution plays of half a dozen opponents. Since early in the season when the dummies and charging machines were discarded, the scrub eleven has worked hard and cheerfully; it has been battered--and done some battering--week after week, satisfied that it was doing a service for Harvard. It has not asked or expected praise.

Handicapped by the necessity of learning some twenty different prays each week and having little or no time to devote to individual improvement, it is all the more to the credit of the seconds that several of their number so clearly demonstrated their ability that they were advanced to the first squad. These men have proved again that the saying "Once a second, always a second" is unfounded.

A coach said recently: "If a victory goes on the records when most desired, don't forget that the men behind the guns in the black jerseys have done their share in silence".