DR. D. G. LYON TO RETIRE

Has Been Director of Semitic Museum for Thirty Years--To Be Professor Emeritus After September 1, 1922

Dr. David Gordon Lyon S.T.D. '01, professor at the University for nearly forty years will retire next summer from the Hancock professorship of Hebrew and other Oriental languages. He has been appointed professor emeritus by the Governing Boards of the University, the appointment to take effect September 1, 1922.

Professor Lyon is best known for his work in connection with the Semitic Museum at the University, of which he has been the director for thirty years. He played a leading part in its foundation, and after the generosity of Mr. Jacob H. Schiff had assured the establishment of the Museum, Professor Lyon supervised its design and construction and arranged its collections, which serve to illustrate Bible history.

For twenty-eight years Dr. Lyon held the Hollis professorship, the oldest endowed professorship in North America. In 1891 he became director of the Semitic Museum. In 1906 he went to Samaria to undertake excavations there, and discovered the earliest specimens of writing ever found in Palestine. Four years later he assumed the Hancock professorship upon the retirement of his colleague, Professor Toy. He has given courses at the University in the Hebrew and Assyrian languages and in Old Testament History, and has long been recognized as a leading authority in his field.