LIBERAL CLUB PLANS SERIES OF MEETINGS

Informal Debate by Members of Club to Be Held Wednesday on Subject "Does College Educate?"--Prominent Men to Speak

An informal debate among the members on Wednesday evening at 7 o'clock will be the first of the program of meetings scheduled by the Liberal Club for the next two weeks. The subject will be, "Does College Educate?", and some of the topics to be discussed under this head are: first, Is the Lecture System Obsolete? Should We Adopt the English Tutorial System? second, Should Courses be Abolished? third, Does the American University Actually Prepare the Student for Life"

On the following Friday, December 2, Mr. Howard S. Ross, of Montreal, will speak on "A Suggested New Social Order". His talk will be open to all members of the University. Mr. Ross will be entertained at a dinner preceding his address, open to club members only.

On Thursday, December 8, there will be a Seminar on Unemployment, open to members of the club and their friends. There will be 15 minute speeches by Professor T. N. Carver, David A. Wells, Professor of Political Economy at the University, Mr. Frank Tannenbaum, and Mr. Roswell F. Phelps '00, Director of Statistics, State Department of Labor and Industry.

Mr. Frank Tannenbaum, a young labor leader, first came into the public notice in 1914, when he led a mob of the unemployed into a New York church. He succeeded in turning the public attention to unemployment but was sentenced to a year on Blackwell's Island for the act.

During the War he first worked in the shipyards and then served in the army, where he held the rank of ser- geant. After the war he entered Columbia University, from which he graduated recently with highest honors. He has just published a book called "The Labor Movement."

Besides talks and debates there are other interesting events on the program.

On Monday, November 28, a group of 10 members of the Club is going as the guests of Dr. Frederick Palmer, member of the Faculty of Divinity, and editor of the Theological Review, on a trip through the mills of the American Woolen Company at Lawrence.

Dr. T. Iyenaga, who is lecturing on disarmament in Boston, is at present staying as a guest of the Club. On December 4 and 5, the Club will have as a guest Mr. Homer B. Hulbert, former envoy of the Korean emperor, authority on far eastern questions. From December 11 to 13 Mr. Louis F. Post, former Assistant Secretary of Labor, will be staying there