MR. MASON

There are many tradesmen about the Square who can persuade all the students to pay something of what they owe, and even some to pay all that they owe; but there is only one man who, during the last thirty-four years, has induced all of his debtors to pay all of their debts. That man is Charles F. Mason, Bursar of the University. Now comes his resignation after a long period of service during which his name has been impressed upon many generations of Harvard men. To us he, like the poor has appeared to be always with us.

But familiar as his name is at the bottom of a printed slip, not many of those who have stood in line at the office on the Delta have had the privilege of speaking to him personally. Some few there are, however, who--getting the worst of a dispute with one of the clerks have stood upon their rights and appealed to Caesar. And these have invariably found the Bursar to be a very different person from what they had imagined, and discovered that the man who was spending five millions a year for the University was not without consideration for their smaller problems. So courteous was the treatment they received, that all wrath against the college administration was completely effaced. In parting with Mr. Mason, therefore, we are losing not only an able officer but also one who was to us at once an omnipotent dictator and a sympathizer in our troubles.