NOT FOR PUBLICATION

"Order is heaven's first law"--but not in the Senate. The last few days before the recent adjournment call to mind the lines from "Paradise Lost", when

"Arms on armor clashing bray'd

Horrible discord, and . . . dire was the noise

Of conflict."

The first tilt came last Monday. Senator Watson, who recently tried to outstrip Dos Passos in denouncing army discipline, now turned his attention to Henry Ford--conferring upon the latter the title of "blackmailer" and a few other none too choice epithets. Senator Williams came to the rescue and charged the Senator from Georgia with inciting men "to rebel against the authority of the United States government" in war time. And then the song was out--until Senator Robinson succeeded in having the belligerents removed from the floor.

Tuesday saw another word-battle. Senator Heflin rose to speak on the New berry case, and there was a rush to the cloak room. Even those who remained committed the discourtesy of whispering among themselves. Whereupon Mr. Heflin waxed wroth and denounced the whisperers in no uncertain terms. Then followed an orgy of name-calling equal only to that of the day before. Needless to say, these remarks were "expunged from the record". And another expunging followed on Wednesday when some ill-considered remarks of Senator Reed's on the visage of Mr. Volstead vanished before the eraser.

The Senate has never been a particularly peaceful body. Ever since one Senator beat up another with his cane, years ago--and before that, too--Vice-Presidents have had a task on their hands in keeping order. Probably this is inevitable. Where men are constantly engaged in fighting each other's ideas, some are sure to step over the bounds now and then and fight each other. And after all, the Senate cannot even compete with the tumultuous French Chamber. The Vice-President never has to put on his hat to quell disturbances, nor does the Senate have to adjourn for an hour to quiet down. Debate goes on, and the eraser or blue pencil is used afterward. But might we suggest that the marshals interview Detective Sergeant Tighe?