THOUSAND PRINCETON STUDENTS CHEER NASSAU ELEVEN AT OPEN PRACTICE

Don Lourie Awarded Cup as Player Most Loyal to Princeton--Cup Formerly Held by Maurice Trimble

PRINCETON, N. J. Nov. 3, 1921.--A thousand undergraduates paraded to the Stadium this afternoon, where Coach Roper held open practice, and enthusiastically cheered the team as it went through signal drill. Tonight they will assemble at Alexander Hall at a mass meeting led by Don Lourie, star quarterback of the eleven. The speakers at the meeting will be Lambert Heiniger '16, Kenneth Clark '07, Captain McGraw of the 1919 football team, President Hibben, and Coach Roper.

Nearly every man on the squad took part in the scrimmage this afternoon, in which a second string backfield was used. Smith scored a touchdown against the scrub eleven during the scrimmage. Excellent form in punting was shown. Lourie's punts averaged 47 yards, while Vangerbig consistently made 45 yards. In drop-kick practice, Smith and Baker starred, placing kicks over the cross-bar from the thirty-yard line. Coach Roper strongly emphasized the defensive element in today's practice, and sent the squad in early after a short signal drill.

The team lined up as follows: l.e., Snively; l.t., Keck; l.g., Morgan; c., Wittmer; r.g., Lipscomb; r.t., Hooper; r.e., Stinson; q.b., Lourie; l.h.b., Gilroy; r.h.b., Garrity; f.b., Cleaves. Baker may be substituted for Lipscomb at the last minute.

Don Lourie has been awarded the Poe Memorial Cup for 1920, which is given to the football player with the greatest loyalty to Princeton, the greatest courage, determination, and fairness in the game, and the greatest self-control and modesty. The cup was awarded last year to Mauire Trimble.