REGULAR PRINCETON MACHINE HAS PROVED POWERFUL

Tigers Have Been Handicapped by Lack of Adequate Substitute Material--Lourie and Garrity Invaluable to Backfield

When Princeton faces the University this afternoon, it will have to its credit a total of 74 points as against 19 amassed this fall by its opponents. This record however, appearing on paper more favorable than the Crimson score of 79 to 34, does not indicate the true state of affairs, for twice this season have the Tigers bowed to defeat, while only once this fall has an invading team carried off honors at Cambridge. Registering three overwhelming victories against Swarthmore, Colgate, and Virginia, Coach Roper's men were forced to yield to the attacks of the mighty Navy and Chicago elevens.

The great difficulty at Princeton this fall has been the serious lack of second string material. With its three stars--Captain Keck, Lourie, and Garrity--the Orange and Black presents a most formidable aggregation, as proved by its easy victory over Colgate. But without the two last named players to add speed to the backfield, the New Jersey team is surprisingly weak. It is due to this inability to find two adequate substitute backs that Princeton owed its defeat at the hands of the Navy and Chicago.

Swarthmore Crushed in Opening Game

The initial contest with Swarthmore on October 1 resulted in a 21-7 victory for the Jungleers. In spite of the large score however, the showing of the team was not impressive. Although there were spots of great individual brilliance such as a 40 yard run by Garrity and a romp by Lourie that covered 55 yards for a touchdown. The attack lacked coordination and a hard charge, the gains being due to a few long runs rather than to any concerted offensive.

Meeting Colgate the following week, the Tigers showed a great improvement over their form of the previous game, swamping the invaders 19-0. Princeton kept the ball in their opponents' territory during practically the entire contest and were not seriously threatened at any time. With the line charging hard and fast, the attack gave great promise for the games to come.

But rocks were ahead for the New Jersey squad. Minus the services of both Lourie and Garrity the team faced the Navy on October 16, and went down to a 13-0 defeat. Without the running and generalship of the gifted quarterback, and the reliable aid of his running mate, the team seemed helpless. Not only did they need the ground gaining ability of these men, but without their presence they seemed to lack selfconfidence and dirve. Indeed during the entire game the team was on the offensive, so much that they failed to gain even on the first down. Captain Keck played his usual sterling game, featuring in every play on both sides of the line, but the sailors concentrated off-tackle thrusts, and irresistible drives at the line were too much for the Tigers' desperate efforts.

Outplayed 9-0 by Chicago

Coach Roper was again destined to taste defeat when he sent his charges against the strong Chicago team the following week. The Tiger was again outplayed and out-fought, the Westerners running up nine 'points while the men from New Jersey never even threatened their goal line. It was the first victory of a western team over either Princeton, Yale, or the University. The Maroon attack centered about the line-plunging of her three glant fullbacks, Timme, Thomas and Zorn, who time after time tore through the veteran Tiger line for substantial gains, a thing that football critics had pronounced as impossible. Chicago registered eighteen first downs against Princeton's three, but practically none of these were made by means of the forward passes that were expected from the Western team.

Virginia Completely Swamped

Against Virginia last Saturday, however, the Orange and Black men showed a most amazing reversal of form. Fighting every minute, aggressive, and using excellent headwork, they snowed under the southern team by the score of 34 to 0. The opposition was less severe, but it was an entirely different team that tore time after time down the field. The line charged harder, the interference was much smoother and the backs picked their holes well in bucking the line. Only once did the visitors threaten the goal line, but here a wall-like defense halted their rush on the one foot mark.