CRITICS PRAISE PLAY OF CRIMSON IN SPITE OF DEFEAT

Newspaper Experts Claim University Eleven Outplayed Tiger Up to Last Part of Final Period--Princeton's Comeback Lauded

Accounts of Saturday's game by newspaper experts give the Crimson more credit than the score of the contest indicates. The New York Times says: "Harvard showed what is undoubtedly the best forward passing attack in Eastern football. If there is any team which can produce more skillful preparation, deception and ability in this department Princeton is anxious to know about it. The Crimson's most effective weapon was a "flat" pass that was flung out short and to the side, almost like a lateral pass. Buell to Fitts was the order for his play, and they showed themselves to be a forward passing pair that takes rank with the best in football history".

In regard to the general play of the teams the Times Says: "In general of offensive play Harvard was the superior in variety and strength although it gained less ground by straight rushing. Both teams were weak defensively, especially on the right side of the line, and it was the case of two strong. offensive organizations, each making much headway through the other".

All critics join to praise Princeton's remarkable comeback in the last few minutes of play. Grantiand Rice in the New York Tribune writes that "Princeton won because at the finish the Tiger had more stuff in reserve than Harvard had and was better fixed for a whirlwind rally. Gilroy's long run would come off without perfect interference.

When the big movement came to strike, the Tiger machine and had enough men ready and waiting to carry out a great play, which no team in a depressed frame of mind could have carried through. Harvard's field goal advantage has failed to break down Nassau's spirit or stop her hard fighting to the end of things. It was this great finishing spirit which brought about the Tiger snake dance up and down the field, the first one with a silent Harvard gathering looking on for a decade".

Carl Flanders, former Yale line star and coach, says in the Boston Herald: "It is eternally useless to accept anything but the final score, which stands in the records. Nevertheless it must be somewhat comforting to reflect that for 54 minutes of play the hue was distinctly Crimson and that six minutes before the final whistle, a field goal produced a score of 3-0, which seemed to measure, accurately the difference in the performance of the two teams.

Two plays later, however, the shifting variety of modern football worked a startling transformation, and Princeton was in the lead with the previous minutes fast disappearing. Followed an other opportunity and Princeton's successful place kick left her in the comfortable position of a seven point advantage and the game practically over. It was a striking demonstration of the mutability of fortunes in present day football."