RECORD SQUAD REPORTS FOR CRIMSON HOCKEY TEAM AT OPENING PRACTICE

Baker, Angier and Martin Form First Forward Line--No Scrimmage Until Next Week

Over 60 men, one of the largest University hockey squads that has ever turned out, reported to Coach William H. Claflin Jr. '15 for the initial workout at the Boston Arena yesterday afternoon. Following a brief drilling in starting and turning, the remainder of the afternoon was devoted to a general workout for all candidates, practice in carrying and jumping the puck being followed by an extended drill in various parallel forward lines.

The first skaters to be sent on the ice were the temporary first squad of 25 men. At first the forwards in pairs were sent down against the defence, but later Coach Claflin picked two temporary forward lines which were sent through a long session against the defence. These two forward lines lined up as follows. On the first team, C. W. Baker '22, Donald Angier '22 and J. M. Martin '22; on the second sextet, J. J. Lee '24, Joseph Laroeque Jr. '23, and F. T. Pratt '22.

During the course of the workout, practically every defence man had a chance to enter the practice, but against the first string forwards, W. E. Crosby '24, Mitchell Gratwick '22, S. C. Graves '24, and Captain George Owen '23 were sent in to bear the brunt of the workout.

Stress Passing Work

Since it is absolutely essential to the success of the passing game that the forwards work together for some time, the coaches will undoubtedly pick players to work as one group at each day's practice, but it is very doubtful if a definite team A will be chosen until well into the middle of next week. This is all the more the case because it will be necessary to make constant changes in the composition of the defence in order to determine the most effective combination of backs and goal tend.

Inasmuch as Coach Claflin wishes to give a thorough grounding in fundamentals before starting on more ad-advance work, no formal scrimmages will be attempted this week and in all probability will not become a regular feature of the afternoon's work until well into next week.

E. L. Bigelow '21, captain of last year's sextet, was on hand at the Arena yesterday to help Coach Claflin in the coaching, especially at today's workout when the latter will probably not be able to be present.