BUSINESS SCHOOL TO ADMIT LIMITED GROUP OF MEN AT MID-YEARS

DEAN W. B. DONHAM '98 DISCUSSES NEW ARRANGEMENT

In order to give men who finish their college courses in the middle of the academic year a chance to begin their business training at once, the Business School will adopt experimentally this year a new policy of admitting a limited group of carefully selected college graduates on January 30, 1922, Dean Wallace B. Donham '98, has announced.

The program of work for men entering in January will be so adjusted that they will be able to complete the regular course for the degree of Master of Business Administration in the usual time of two years, graduating in January, 1924. The following first year courses will be open to the new students at mid-years: banking principles, business statistics, foreign trade methods, and synopsis of engineering problems as well as accounting principles and industrial finance which are required. Five courses constitute full work.

Plan Is Experiment

"This plan is distinctly an experiment," explained Dean Donham. "Two years ago we allowed a few unusually able students to enter in the middle of the year, with very satisfactory results, but we have never admitted any considerable number at that time. Whether we shall ultimately have two groups in the School, one shift entering in September and the other in January, depends on the working of this experiment. It is entirely possible, for our larger courses are already divided into sections, and it may prove as convenient to start some sections in September and others in January as to start them all simultaneously. The School is obliged to limit numbers each year, but by dividing the group into two parts we can take care of more men than would otherwise be possible.

"Many men of unusual ability finish their college course in three and a half years, and it is such men as these that we wish to accommodate with this new arrangement, so that they will not have to wait until September to begin their business training. The plan was suggested by a number of such men, who felt that under existing business conditions they had no other opportunity to use this period profitably.

"We shall make our selections with particular care, considering the applications in the order in which they come in. We should like to get in January a small group of men as nationally representative as the class which entered in September. This class included 46 men from Harvard College, 16 from the University of California, 10 each from Yale and Leland Stanford, and smaller groups from each of 103 other colleges and universities all over the country."