NEWSPAPER PHOTOGRAPHY VERY INTERESTING WORK

"More Like a Hobby Than a Profession" States Mr. J. A. Jones of Boston Herald--Ability to Think Quickly Necessary--Good Judgment Required

"There is a romance connected with newspaper photography that has made me always consider it the most interesting and fascinating of professions", said Mr. James A. Jones, photographer for the Boston Herald, when interviewed yesterday by a CRIMSON reporter.

"A photographer never knows what is going to happen; he is doing something different every minute, and on never tell when he will be called out on some important job. The variety in the work makes it seem more like a bobby than a profession, and many men have found it so interesting that they spend a great deal of time in taking photographs without compensation, as a form of recreation.

"One of the most important requisites of a successful photographer is the ability to think quickly and act on the spur of the moment. In many cases the man with the camera has only one chance to photograph what he wants, and if he doesn't act at the right time, he loses the picture. This is true of taking pictures of notables, and in taking action pictures, especially in sports. The man who can take a picture of a football play at the precise time when the play is in its most interesting stage is a valuable asset to the paper for which he is working.

Good Judgement Required

"One must also use one's judgement in going to the right place to take a picture. During the war, when I was in New York taking photographs of the wounded who were coming over on transports, I was able to scoop the other photographers on the pictures of the first of the returning wounded of the Y. D. Division by following a hunch and going after a transport that came in the night and docked at Hoboken.

"Opportunities to take photographs at College are unlimited. Almost every sport can be photographed in an interesting way, and the photographer gets all the opportunity he wants to use his knack and skill and ingenuity. Many notables come to a large university such as Harvard, and here again is an opportunity to take interesting pictures. By learning the art of photography, the college man can provide himself with a hobby and recreation in which he will find much pleasure later in life."