MAJORITY OF 1925 FROM NEW ENGLAND SCHOOLS

Over Fifty Percent of Class Educated in Massachusetts -- Boston Latin Leads All Secondary Schools in Number of Freshmen

More than 70 percent of this year's Freshman class in the College and the Engineering School come from schools which are in New England, and 53 percent come from schools in Massachusetts, according to statistics compiled by the Committee on Admission. Only 25 out of a total of 759 entered without graduating from some secondary institution, 19 from Massachusetts, two from France, and two from Switzerland.

The schools of New England lead those of all other sections of the country with a total of 537 out of a 759, while the schools of Massachusetts have supplied a total of 406 students.

A further survey of the list, state by state, shows that besides the 406 students who have graduated from Massachusetts schools, 76 have graduated from schools in New York, 59 from New Hampshire, 51 from Connecticut, 19 from New Jersey, 15 from Pennsylvania, 14 each from Ohio and Illinois, and 12 from Rhode Island. The schools of none of the other states have as many as ten representatives.

Shows National Representation

Comparing these figures with last year's list, a wider and more national representation is shown. Whereas in 1920 no state west of Pennsylvania had as many as ten representatives, this year Ohio and Illinois are both represented by 14 Freshmen. New York has made a considerable increase, showing 76 instead of the 40 students in the 1924 Freshman class from New York schools, and ranking second instead of third among the states.

If New England alone is considered, the numbers of the graduates of private and public schools are still nearly equal. This good showing on the part of the private schools, however, is only made possible because of the large number of men coming from institutions such as Exeter, Andover, Milton, Middlesex, Groton, and St. Mark's, which have become national in their character and draw many men from beyond New England.

Exeter Leads Others

Phillips-Exeter Academy leads all other preparatory schools in number of men in the Freshman class with 35, followed by Phillips-Andover with 30. Middlesex takes third place with 19, St. Mark's and St. Paul's are tied with 18 apiece, and Milton is fifth with 17. Then follow Browne and Nichols with 15, Groton with 14, Hackley and Kent with nine each, the Country Day School and St. George's with eight each, and Pomfret with seven.

The Boston Latin School leads all of the secondary institutions, whether public or private, with a total of 59. This is one less than its representation of last year. Of the other public schools which have a noteworthy representation in the class of 1925, the Cambridge Latin School has 20, the Boston English High School and the Roxbury Latin School have 11 each, while the Somerville High and the Springfield Central High are tied with 10 apiece.