COMPETITIONS START DEC. 14

Crimson News and Photographic Departments to Call Candidates--Both Competitions to Last 12 Weeks

On Wednesday, December 14, the second CRIMSON news and photographic competitions will start with a meeting in the Crimson Building at 7 o'clock. Both competitions are open to Freshmen and Sophomores. They will last twelve weeks and although they will run through the mid-year period sufficient time will be allowed to prepare adequately for the examinations. The work of the first competition will consist of gathering and writing the news of the University. The work required is necessarily difficult but is interesting and gives a wide and intimate knowledge of all the activities of the University and the men engaged in them. The competition is conducted on a point basis, twice as much credit being given for scoops as for assignments.

Candidates for the photographic competition must supply their own cameras but a well equipped darkroom for all developing and printing work is available to candidates at the Crimson Building. The ranking and election of photographic candidates is based on the number of pictures published in the fortnightly pictorial supplement and on the amount and effeciency of work done in the dark room.