MEDICAL SCHOOL TO HAVE R. O. T. C. UNIT

Course to Cover Four Years--One Hour a Week of Military Instruction to Be Required--Work in a Summer Camp Compulsory at End of Third Year

A medical unit of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps is to be established at the University Medical School. The Corporation of the University has approved the project on recommendation of the Faculty of Medicine.

The course will cover four years. In the R. O. T. C. units in schools and colleges three hours' instruction a week is required according to the terms of the National Defense Act of 1920, but as all the subjects taught in a medical course are of value to medical officers, the military instruction given to men who join the R. O. T. C. at the University Medical School may be reduced to a minimum of one hour a week. Instruction will also be given in a summer camp at the end of the first year, at which attendance will be voluntary, and in another camp at the end of the third year, attendance at which will be required for those who join the R. O. T. C.

The camps for the medical R. O. T. C. will probably be held in connection with the Medical Field Service School at Carlisle, Pa., and will last a month. After four years' instruction and after graduating as doctors of medicine the students will be eligible for appointment as medical officers in the Reserve Corps with the grade of first lieutenant. About twenty medical R. O. T. C. units similar to that at the University have already been established at other large "Class A" medical schools throughout the country.