THE UNIVERSITY DATE BOOK

In the disorganization during the war, "The University Date Book" was forgotten and it has not been dusted off since. But the conflict that has arisen recently between important events proves the continued necessity for such a general memorandum of dates.

We have implied above that the date book was in use immediately before the war. The need for it was felt long before that. Witness the following quotation from an editorial published in this column on November 4, 1907:

"Meh upon whom the duty of planning smokers, mass meetings, lectures, and other gatherings devolves are often greatly handicapped by not knowing of something equally important which will conflict with their arrangements. This is not due merely to the lateness of decision, for many important affairs are scheduled weeks ahead; it is due rather to the impossibility of consulting every other man who might possibly intend to hold a meting on the same date. This applies principally to occasions which draw large numbers, but the difficulty is usually great for men who are in charge of small functions, such as Freshman receptions or small class dinners, and who often find that their guests give preference to a more important engagement."

We quote from this hoary source, as evidence that there is a permanent and not a temporary need for a date book. If it is feared that it is not the part of the Student Council to interfere in the activities of the College in this way, the fact that the need is so real and that in former years the Council has taken on itself this simple responsibility, should serve to dispel any such anxiety.