OARSMEN WORKING OUT ON ROWING MACHINES

Hold Practice in Newell Boathouse--No Plans for Spring Season to Be Announced Until Mr. R. F. Herrick '90 Returns in January

With work on the river no longer possible, 60 Freshmen are at present working on the rowing machines in Newell Boathouse under the compulsory exercise requirements; they are being coached by Dr. R. H. Howe Jr. '01, Coach William Haines, and Coach Herbert Haines. Several of the University oarsmen are also availing themselves of this opportunity for coaching.

No definite plans as to work and coaching for the coming season will be announced until the return from China of Mr. R. F. Herrick '90 chairman of the Graduate Advisory Committee; Mr. Herrick plans to be back about January 1.

The fall rowing season came to a close last Wednesday, when the Freshman crew, which has been practising with various former schoolboy strokes for the past few weeks, stopped work on the river. Those tried out at the stroke position include several men who played football during the earlier part of the season. A. L. Hobson '24, 7 on last year's Freshman eight, and H. A. Fuller '23, who rowed 7 on the Junior University crew at New London, have taken turns in rowing 7 behind the various Freshman strokes. Several coxswains have also been tried out.

The University crews had planned to continue rowing after the Fall Regatta but weather conditions and other upper class activities prevented.