GENERAL DIAZ

During the Napoleonic wars, hardly any one in France ever spoke of Marshal Ney without calling him "the bravest of the brave." His gay reckless daring appealed to the people; they honored him with this epithet. Nowadays we do not speak of our generals in such terms. They fight by telephone, miles behind the line. We think of them, therefore, as resourceful, far-sighted, skilful, but as brave--almost never.

General Armando Diaz, however, whom the University receives today, has right5 enough to be honored for bravery. In his youth, he fought in the first line of battle and was wounded in action. But the greater honor is due him for the bravery of a general rather than for the bravery of a soldier. To command an army, to order a retreat in the face of hostile public opinion--this requires a higher courage. When he took command of the Italian forces, they were falling back almost daily before the Austrians. His was the responsibility of giving way just enough, yet not too much--then of making a final stand along the Piave. How well he succeeded is merely a matter of history. The Piave line held; soon the Austrians were forced back, Diaz triumphed. The bravery that accomplished this was not physical bravery; it was the rarer and finer--though less colorful -- moral bravery.