DISCOVER IMPROVED X-RAY

VALUABLE IN CANCER TREATMENT

Discoveries made by William Duane '93, professor of Bio-Physics at the Medical School, working in collaboration with research students of physics, have made it possible to secure X-rays of more penetrating quality than have ever before been obtained in this country, and these rays are now to be used for the first time in America for the alleviation of cancer.

While it is emphatically stated by Professor Duane that neither X-rays nor radium should be considered a permanent cure for all kinds of cancer, it has long been known that radium has a marked alleviative effect upon this disease, and the University physicists have reason to believe that the effect of the new highly-penetrating X-rays will be equally beneficial.

The Harvard Cancer Commission is erecting a new building adjoining the Collis P. Huntington Hospital in Boston, where an X-ray plant will be installed as well as the Commission's radium plant. Confident that the life of cancer patients may thus be prolonged, life insurance companies of Boston have given over $30,000 toward the new building.