OARSMEN HAVE SEASON'S FIRST REGULAR PRACTICE

COMPLETE CLASS ORGANIZATION

Yesterday afternoon the University held their first regular practice in the tank at Newell boat-house. Many of the men have been rowing all fall and winter, but this is the first time that they have been together as regular crews. Under the eye of Coach Haines they had a slow workout in the tank for half an hour. A short, snappy, fast, five minutes on the machines, followed by a run part way around Soldiers Field, completed the work.

The Freshman crews, who have had daily workouts since Tuesday, are beginning to show up fairly well. They are divided at present into three groups, first, those who rowed last fall, second, those who have had experience at school, but played football last fall, and third, those who played football, but have had no experience rowing. This is thought to be the best plan for the present, as each of these three groups need somewhat different coaching. Later on, when the ice in the river breaks up, the most promising material from each will be put into a first crew, which will be kept together as much as possible during the rest of the season, and developed into an efficient, precise and smooth-running machine.

A meeting for all candidates for class crews will be held in the Newell boat-house at 4 o'clock this afternon, at which Coach Brown will appoint a captain and select crews from each class. At this meeting he will also speak of the purpose of the organization of class crews, and of the races that are rowed between them to see which shall race the winning Yale class crew.