BROWN CRUMPLES UNIVERSITY FIVE IN ROUGH ENCOUNTER

HARTLEY AND BARKER PLAY STERLING GAME FOR CRIMSON

Using near-football tactics, the Brown basketball team sent the University down to overwhelming defeat last night at Providence. The whole game was loosely and roughly played, due in part to the cramped size of the floor. The Providence players, most of whom were football men, were accustomed to it, however, and by playing of the bumping and slashing sort, shook the fight out of the Crimson team. Cramped quarters did not help to make life any easier to the Crimson men. Frequent fouling by the Rhode Islanders did not help, since Pallo, who usually has had an accurate eye for the basket, failed repeatedly to make the award count.

The offense of the University fell flat Pallo never being able to get free and thus was under a disadvantage in weight. Fitts also could not use his up-the-floor play and footwork. Love, playing in a game for the first time, was opposed by a superior man, Barrett, and availed nothing. Hartley at forward proved valuable in mixing things up. Barker, who was also in his first game, showed valuable defensive work.

Barrett, with eight goals from the floor, was the best man on the floor, and Captain Albright, while in the line-up, showed capability.

The line-up follows: HARVARD.  BROWN. Fitts, Hartley, r.f.  l.g., Fox, Liddy Pallo, McLeish, l.f.  r.g., A. Miller Love, Fitts, c.  c., Barrett Miller, r.g.  l.f., Joslyn, Albright Chase, Barker, l.g.  r.f., Mallory

Score, Brown 42, Harvard 23. Goals from floor, Fitts 3, Hartley 2, Pallo, Miller, Barrett 8, Mallory 5, Joslyn 3, Fox, A. Miller. Goals from fouls, Pallo 6, Chase 2, Fitts, Joslyn 6. Referee, Gaudens.