LT. COL. ROOSEVELT TO LECTURE TONIGHT

Will Discuss "Participation in Public Life" in Speech Which Begins at 8 in Union Living Room--Has Been New York Assemblyman Since 1919

"Participation in Public Life" will be the subject of the speech to be given by Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt '09 in the Living Room of the Union at 8 o'clock tonight. This is the ninth of the lectures in the main series being given at the Union for its members. In his address Mr. Roosevelt will point out the need for able men in politics as well as in business and describe the opportunities for college men to render great service to the public in this career.

Arriving this afternoon from the New York Assembly at Albany, he will be entertained before his lecture at a dinner at 7 o'clock given by the Governing Board of the Union in the Trophy Room. Among the guests at this dinner will be Professors A. C. Coolidge '87, G. H. Edgell '09, Theodore Layman '97, R. B. Merman '96 and several prominent undergraduates. The lecture will come at 8 o'clock and the speaker will be introduced by Professor R. B. Merriment '96.

Tomorrow a lunch will be given in Mr.

Roosevelt's honor at the Signet Society, and in the evening he will attend a dinner given by the Colonial Club. He will then return to Albany. His lecture at the Union will be his only public appearance in the vicinity of Boston.

During the war, Mr. Roosevelt served in France with the 26th United States Infantry as Lieutenant Colonel. He was in several of the major engagements, including the battles of Cantigny and Soissons, and also took part in the offensives in the Argonne and St. Mihiel. He was wounded and received from the French Government the Legion of Honor and the Croix de Guerre.

Upon his return to America he was prominent in the formation of the American Legion, finally being nominated for the presidency of the organization, which honor he declined. In 1919 he was elected to the New York State Assembly, where he has been an advocate of many reform bills and prominent in the fight for clean politics. He is also the author of "Average Americans," which was published in 1919