FIELDERS HAVE FIRST CAGE PRACTICE TODAY

Emmons, Conlon, and Lincoln Will Form Nucleus of This Season's Infield--Owen, Thayer and Clark of 1923 Team Are Promising

Fielding candidates for the University and Freshman baseball teams will work out today for the first time this season in the cage, the former at 2 and the later at 4. Light throwing and bunting will be the order for the first few days, followed by stiffer pitching and batting practice.

To offset the weakness in battery material, the University fielding squad will have a wealth of competent candidates. Captain R. W. Emmons Occ., in his third year of first team ball and second year as captain of the nine, will be at second again. At third, another regular of last year's "midget" infield will have the call, E. C. Lincoln '22. His all-round ability in the field and at bat made him one of the most valuable on the 1920 nine. The third regular infielder available is A. J. Conlon '22, one of the best of last year's college shortstops. Emmons, Lincoln and Conlon are three first-class reliable players, and each played throughout every game last season. A first baseman must be found to take the place of L. P. Jones '20, but considering the material this should not be difficult, for E. L. Bigelow '21 played that position the first half of last year, and George Owen '23 was put at first on his Freshman team in a number of games, and showed himself as capable there as in the box or in the outfield. J. C. Bancroft '23 and K. B. Lucas '23, numeral men last year, have possibilities.

The outfield does not appear so promising. Two regulars are left from last year, H. C. Janin '22 and L. A. Hallock '22. Of the 1923 Freshman team, Captain D. F. Thayer and J. S. Clark '23 are the most promising outfield men.