NAME AND POLICY

Most mature opinion agrees with the long communication published below that the new policy of the Glee Club deserves high commendation; at the same time, it is not inconsistent to second the contention of the Providence graduates that the Glee Club is mis-named. By retaining its present name, the Glee Club is giving an opening to the accusation of "trying to be high brow"; a change in its name would result in its receiving full credit for its artistic success. If the aims of the Glee Club were clarified by a change in name, there could not be a charge of "disappointed audiences",--for what audience seeking good music would be disappointed at the Glee Club's performance?

It is for this reason that the CRIMSON advocates the adoption of the name of "Choral Society",--an improvement which would be beneficial to both the College and the club. Those who expect a "vaudeville" rather than a "concert" would find entertainment in the Instrumental Clubs and the Double Quartette. With a "Choral Society" and the "Harvard Instrumental Clubs", there would be no confusion between the totally different aims of the two organizations.