TENNIS OUTLOOK PROMISING

Team Nucleus of Captain L. A. de-Turenne, J. B. Fenno Jr., and R. B. Bradley

After two weeks' practice on the Long-wood Covered Courts, the University tennis team has shown very good form, according to Coach R. N. Williams 2nd '16, who expressed his satisfaction with the work of the men, commenting on the improvement they have shown and predicting a most successful season. With a squad of well seasoned material on hand, Coach Williams expects to develop a championship team, and in his early season work he is laying especial emphasis on diligent practice and the formation of effective doubles combinations.

In the singles the University is provided with three men of proven ability, Captain L. A. deTurenne '21, J. B. Fenno Jr. '21, and R. B. Bradley '22. Captain deTurenne and Fenno have been the outstanding men thus far, the former's brilliant drives and fast volleys being equalled only by the latter's steady aggressive style of play. Combined in a doubles team these two make an especially strong combination, and have been showing the best form in this type of play to the present time. E. W. Feibleman has a fast serve and a strong net attack which make him a promising player. P. L. Romaine '22 with a strong forehand drive has been working to advantage in a two-man team. R. B. Bradley '22 will probably retain a position on the team this year. He and Morris Duane '23, and J. M. Kleberg '22, and F. T. Pratt '22, are the other combinations which Coach Williams has tried thus far. Among the other members of the squad who have shown promising form are J. D. Farnham '23, J. R. Morss '21, LeRoy Frost Jr. '23, M. W. Bradbyer '22, L. D. Hill '22, W. T. Richards '21, R. P. Parker '22, Channing Wakefield '22, C. P. Holmes '22, and G. C. Guild '23.

A new national ranking of tennis men has just been announced, as the 1920 list was incomplete, and did not recognize several tournaments. J. B. Fenno Jr. '21 was the only University player to be advanced, while the others were put back in the list. Fenno was changed from 137th to 88th, Captain deTurenne from 59th to 64th, D. P. Robinson 1E.S. from place 60 to 65, while K. S. Pfaffman '24 has gone from 136th to 143rd. Fenno is the only Crimson player in the doubles ranking. He is placed 25th with W. W. Ingraham, a member of the Exeter Academy team who is planning to enter the University next fall.