THE POWERS THAT BE

With the Office of the Dean as the chief point of contact between the undergraduate and the college organization, it is not surprising that most of us have hazy ideas about the administration of Harvard University. For the explanation of why an appeal to be removed from probation will tall on barren soil if addressed to the Board of Overseers and other such perplexing matters the following may be of interest.

The general management of the College and its finances was entrusted to a Board of Overseers by act of the General Court of Massachusetts in 1642. This arrangement, however proved unsatismactory; and in 1650 due largely to the efforts of Harvard's first president, Henry Dunster the institution was by charter incorporated as the President and Fellows of Harvard College. Although the Corporation has charge of the funds, property, and appointments of the college, the act of 1657 declares them responsible to and their acts alterable by the Board of Overseers.

The Board was formerly comprised ex officio of state officers and the Congregational clergymen in certain specified towns. It was later modified and enlarged; and in 1865 the power to elect the Overseers was transferred from the state legislature to the graduates. The Board exercises only confirmatory power over the Corporation, but reflects the opinion of the alumni.

While the governing powers reside with these two bodies, actual control over ordinary matters of administration and discipline devolve upon the various Faculties. Most of the actual conduct of this work in delegate by the Faculty to a committee of its members, the Administrative Board: Each Faculty has charge of a particular branch of teaching in the University: Harvard College and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are together enrolled by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Payment toward their tuition fee is collected by the Bursar,--one of the Treasurer's representatives in Cambridge.

In short, the Corporation, with the approval of the Overseers, provides the education, equipment and pays the bills; the Faculty teaches and disciplines us.