A BOXING TEAM

Not a little interest is being shown in the proposition now before the Athletic Committee to establish boxing as a University minor sport. The objection which has been urged against boxing in the past is that the bouts have too often degenerated into more slugging contests with no attempt to fight cleanly or in good form. As a result of this, boxing in the University is at present confined to intramural contests. Nonetheless boxing has become a recognized sport in many of the chief eastern colleges; the recent match between Yale and M. I. T. was a model for fast and skilful fist-work. The present custom of two-minute periods with a decision at the end of three or four rounds, together with strict refereeing, has apparently eliminated the features which formerly made boxing objectionable. There is plenty of first-class material in the University at present, and the H. A. A. is confident that, once firmly established, boxing will prove to be the most popular of minor sports. Its recognition by the Athletic Committee would seem to be in order.