COMMERCIAL UNITY

"To aid business and to do service to the greatest advantage" will be Mr. Hoover's policy in the thorough reorganization of the Department of Commerce. It is his plan to give this department a broader scope than it has hither to possessed. Separate bureaus of foreign and domestic commerce are to be created and co-operation will be furthered between various trade organizations. Then, too, by giving to this department many of the duties which at present are assigned to other executive departments, such as the Interstate Commerce Commission, the Directorship of Public Roads, and to Inland and Coastwise Waterways Service, the power of the Secretary of Commerce will be increased beyond his former mere shadow of authority.

"Reduction of unessentials and further economy will lessen the taxpayers' burden" declares Mr. Hoover. The establishment of foreign credit will tend to prevent over-production,-a menace to our present industrial situation. Development of great waterways, the admission of ocean liners into the Great Lakes, adjustment of our transportation system all of these will lead to greater commercial unity and better business conditions. To stimulate business through a reorganization of the Department of Commerce is a much-needed advance in governmental efficiency.