ANNOUNCE READING PLANS

Divisions of Ancient and Modern Languages Publish Requirements for Men Concentrating in Literature

The Divisions of Ancient and Modern Languages have just published a pamphlet announcing their plans for reading in the Bible, Shakespeare, Ancient and Modern Authors, which is required of those who concentrate in the Divisions. The plans are based on the idea that the history of Literature is continuous, and that every well-educated person should have a general acquaintance with the masterpieces of the great literatures.

It is understood that a student cannot be expected to cover all the fields of literature. He must chose some one field, or, in certain cases, two related fields. If his field is modern, he must extend its boundaries by a study of the important works of two of the following ancient authors: Homer, Sophocles, Plato, Aristotle, Cicero, Horace, Virgil, Similarly, if the student's concentration is in the Classics, he must acquaint himself with two of the following modern authors: Dante, Cervantes, Chaucer, Milton, Moliere, Goethe. Furthermore, all students concentrating in the Divisions must show a knowledge of two works of literature which are considered indispensable to an adequate appreciation of English letters the Bible, and the plays of Shakespeare, since the language of Shakespeare, like that of the Bible, has become part of presentday speech.

The pamphlet describing these plans in detail may be obtained at University 2.