PROF. PICKERING ON LEAVE FOR ONE YEAR

Expected to Go to England to Lecture to Royal Astronomical Society on Moon--Engineering Scholarship Given to Russian Student

William H. Pickering, Assistant Professor of Astronomy at the University and head of the Mandeville Station in Jamaica, a branch of the University Astronomical Observatory, has been granted one year's leave of absence by the Corporation.

It is understood that Professor Pickering, who has been engaged in studies of the moon and of Mars, will go to England in April, where he is to read to the Royal Astronomical Society a paper upon the moon. He may also make a study of some of the volcanic craters in the neighborhood of the Mediterranean Sea.

The Hennen Jennings Scholarship at the University, the most important scholarship limited to men in the Engineering School, has been awarded for the current year to Vsevolod Nicolas Krivobok, a Russian. Krivobok was graduated from the Polytechnic Institute of Petrograd in 1915, and in 1916 came to this country, where he was engaged during the war in research in special steels for the Russian Railway Mission. After the end of the war he came to the Engineering School as a graduate student in metal-lurgy.

Appointments announced at the University include those of R. E. Langer '18. L. L. Smith, L. La Paz and Carl A. Garabedian as instructors in Mathematics for next year: Leonard Opdyoke '17, and Allen W. Pinger as assistants in the arts and geology respectively for next year: and Eugene P. Chase as Tutor in the Division of History. Government and Economics for the remainder of the current year.