L. F. POST, FORMERLY OF LABOR DEPT. TO SPEAK

Won National Reputation by Action Last Year, When He Refused to Sanction Deportations--Will Lecture At Union on March 23

Lewis F. Post, who as Assistant Secretary of Labor won national reputation last year by his refusal to deport radical aliens, will speak in the Trophy Room of the Union at 8 o'clock on Wednesday, March 23. He will take as his subject, "An Inside View of the Deportations", sketching the history of the Deportations and allied events during the year of 1920. Mr. Post is speaking under the joint auspices of the Student Liberal Club and the Union and will be introduced by James Ford '05, Assistant Professor of Social Ethics and noted student of sociology in this country. A dinner will be given in Mr. Post's honor in the Trophy Room at 6 o'clock.

Mr. Post began his public career in 1874, when he served as Assistant United States Attorney in New York. During the next two decades he was interested in the reform movements in New York City which centered around the candidacy of Henry George, the famous reformer, for Mayor of New York; during the nineties he became interested in the Single Tax movement and founded. "The Public", a Single Tax weekly, which he edited until 1913, when he was appointed Assistant Secretary of Labor by President Wilson.

Last year he refused to sanction the deportation of the alien "reds", without due process of law, regardless of their legal liability to deportation. As a result he became the center of congressional and newspaper discussion and was called before a committee of Congress, to testify in his own defense.