The Loyal Coalition

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The Loyal Coalition has recently been brought into prominence by suits brought against its officers, and by a big attack against it from the Hearst papers.

For a year the Loyal Coalition has carried on a war against the hyphenated interests in the United States and has been so effective that it has attracted the attention not only of the best people all over the United States but throughout the world. Its work has been the most remarkable and effective of any patriotic organization in fifty years. It had the enemy "on the run." Recently through its great mass meetings here and in Worcester thousands of patriotic citizens rallied to its support.

The hyphenates saw their cause attacked and felt they were playing "a losing game." They felt something must be done to down the Loyal Coalition. They first attacked the character of some of its officers in what appears to be a "frame up," a case of blackmail. Next they were sued for money, and finally came the so called "expose" of the Loyal Coalition when a former official of that organization turned traitor and joined the Hearst papers in their recent attack on March 6. The first attack on the Executive Secretary seemed to have fallen flat. The same case was brought up in another form of court proceedings. The whole trend of these attacks is not so much personal as it is to discredit the Loyal Coalition before the general public and to break up their work and influence throughout the United States.

When one studies any great reform, he will find that this is usually the track taken by the opposition to discredit and break up the movement. When arguments and fair play fail, the opposition usually resorts to personalities and underhanded methods.

It is a time when every patriotic citizen should rally to the support of this organization which has worked so effectively for the best interests of our country.  DAVID H. LINDER '21, March 14, 1921