100 MEN GATHER IN MASS MEETING

Coach R. T. Fisher, Captain R. K. Kane, Dr. T. K. Richards and T. S. Woods Speak

Over 100 men reported at the football meeting at 7.15 in the Varsity Club last night, of whom about half signified their intention to attend spring practice, which will be held for only three weeks this year. The meeting, which marked the official opening of the 1921 season, was addressed by R. K. Kane '22, captain of next fall's team, by W. H. Trumbull '15, coach of the University tackles, by Dr. T. K. Richards '14, chairman of the Graduate Advisory Committee on Football, and by Coach R. T. Fisher '12. All of the speakers emphasized the necessity of spring practice as a means of closer personal relations between the coaches and players and as offering an opportunity for getting a bead start on the work of the fall. Among others present were J. L. Knox, coach of the second team, T. S. Woods '20, and several underclass members of last fall's team.

The first speaker of the evening was R. K. Kane '22, who pointed out that spring practice this year was far shorter than in the early days of the game, characterized the fall season as a "fight against time", and showed the value of spring practice in forming a judgment of the new material.

The second speaker, W. H. Trumbull '15, stressed especially the value of a "human feeling and touch" in football, showed how this had helped to develop the famous teams of 1914 and 1915, and warned against over-systemization in football at the University.

Opening his speech with an account of the work of the Advisory Committee, which has been engaged in preparing for the 1921 season since the Monday after the Yale game, Dr. T. K. Richards '14 pointed out the chance of developing kicking or passing specialties that practice during the spring offered.

As final speaker Coach R. T. Fisher '12 declared that the schedule for next fail was one of the most difficult ever arranged and declared that "we've got about the hardest job a team ever had to beat Princeton next fall". "In order to win that game and win from Yale we have to begin right away," he continued. He closed his speech with a plea for determined work at spring practice, in order that the coaches might know better next fall who to retain on the University squad.