STUDENT REPRESENTATION

Self-government is, in general, the most satisfactory kind of government in an intelligent community. It develops an "esprit de corps" and a feeling of co-operation which cannot otherwise be attained. In recent years Harvard undergraduates, following the easiest course, have gradually turned over to the college authorities the management of the principal student activities, with the exception of class elections. Last fall's episode showed a surprising lack of interest in our only remaining student function.

There was once a time when Memorial Hall and the Union were in the hands of student committees and were entirely under the control of the undergraduates. Our athletics, now managed by a graduate board, have been in the past administered by students. The Student Council has had little to do in its capacity as controller of undergraduate activities. Because of this tendency to let authority fall out of the hands of the students, it has been suggested that a body, representing the undergraduates, meet with the Faculty at some of its sessions and present the views of the students on undergraduate questions, about many of which, unfortunately, the Faculty often knows but little.

At present there is no effective means of registering an opinion about the conduct of courses, nor of protesting against seemingly arbitrary action by the Administrative Board. The proposed plan would increase the scope of our student government by giving a student committee the power to propose plans for the betterment of courses and student activities, and to act as a board of appeals for students who believe that they have been treated unjustly by the college authorities. An increase in student power would no doubt arouse more interest in our undergraduate activities. It would be an incentive for students to vote at our class elections and would stimulate a feeling of co-operation between the faculty and the undergraduates.