LESS TALK AND MORE SHIPS

Among the many problems confronting the new Administration, that of American shipping ranks high in relative importance. In the days when our nation was considered an upstart, the American vessels found their way in no small proportion into the scattered ports of the world. Since the time of clippers (now but a cherished memory) the "upstart" has developed by territorial expansion, growth of population, industrial and agricultural progress into a first rate nation with no mean commanding power in International affairs. But the carriage of our own products on the high seas has slipped out of our hands, and with it the many accompanying political and economic advantages.

The shipping Board, established as an emergency to meet the requirements of transporting troops, ammunition, and food for the prosecution of the war, has been involved in scandal and political animosities. There has been plenty of talk about what ought to be done, but no action of nay consequence has followed. After all the facts concerning the reasons for the backwardness of American shipping are reviewed. It is clear that the main obstacle in the way of developing an effective mercantile marine is that of seamen's wages. The cost of supplies and building of ships is estimated to be on a competitive basis with foreign construction. A reorganization then, of the manning of future and present American vessels, involving expert adjustment of the classification of seamen in regard to wages is essential. The present Shipping Board, under a new Administration, has an old task, but must attack it with every energy and real ability. A nation with the power and command of the United States cannot afford to remain a hundred years behind the times in anything so vital as shipping facilities.