PHYSICAL EDUCATION COURSES TO BE GIVEN

Large Teaching Staff Under Direction of Mr. W. H. Geer Will Train Students For Work As Physical and Athletic Instructors and Coaches

To meet the great dearth of qualified athletic directors and teachers of physical education in this country, the University will give this summer a large number or courses physical education in connection with its regular summer school. These courses are designed for the training of school and college instructors in physical education and of athletic directors, supervisors, and coaches. They will begin July 5 and August 11, so that men and women engaged in teaching through the regular school year will be free to take them.

William H. Geer, Director of Physical Education, said Tuesday of the purpose of these courses, "The demand for competent teachers, supervisors, and directors in schools and colleges far exceeds the supply, and this is especially true in the case of men qualified in the coaching and conduct of athletics.

"In the past the fallacious idea that any star in a sport is competent to coach teams in that sport has been widely held. As a matter of fact, this is no more true that every man that can do sums will make a good teacher of mathematics. Teaching is an art in itself, and this applies to athletic coaching as well as to every other form of instruction.

"Since 1916 there has been a rapid growth of compulsory physical training in the public schools of the country. In eighteen states such training is required in some form, and in other states legislation to this effect has been contemplated. Yet the facilities for teaching men and women how to give this training are extremely limited. The University is doing its best to meet this definite need."

Instruction Schedule Revised

The Schedule of instruction has been thoroughly revised this year by Mr. Geer. Each morning of the six-week period will be given over to theory courses and each afternoon to graded classwork in the schoolroom and playground games, athletic practice and coaching, gymnastics and other exercises, etc.

A general theory course in the principles of education given by Dean Holmes of the Graduates School of Education, and another in hygiene given by Dr. Roger J. Lee are to be added to the instruction offered in former years. Other additions to the teaching staff in these summer courses will be Professor George E. Johnson, an authority on the subject of play in education, Daniel J. Kelly and Norman W. Fradd of the regular University Physical Education staff. Mr. Kelly, former all-round Worcester athlete, attended the Olympic games last summer to study athletic methods and coaching systems. There will also be a large staff of men and women teachers, including supervisors and instructors in physical education from various parts of the country.

The athletic grounds and facilities and facilities of the University and also of the Sargent School for Physical Education will be thrown open for use by those taking the courses, several of which will count toward the degree of Master of Education, if passed by properly qualified graduates of colleges and scientific schools in good standing.

The giving of physical education courses in the Graduate School of Education counting for a graduate degree is a new departure which has few parallels in the country.

Applications for dormitory accommodations are now being received, Gore and Standish halls being reserve for women in the Summer Schools, and Smith Halls for men.

Last year these courses drew students front twenty-nine different states, as well as from Canada and the Philippines, and the total registration was 233, the largest on record. Since summer instruction of this type was first given at the University by Dr. Dudley A. Sargent in 1887, training has been given to men and women who have subsequently filled positions in a total of 1029 colleges, schools and other institutions.