YALE FRESHMAN FIVE WINS FROM 1924 QUINTET

25 to 17 is Score of Hotly Contested Game at New Haven--Eli Yearlings Pile Up Early Lead and Hold it Throughout Hard-Fought Game

In a hotly-contested game last Saturday night at New Haven, the Freshman basketball five went down to defeat before the fast Yale 1924 quintet, 25-17. The Eli Yearlings broke into a lead at the start, and managed to hold this against the onslaughts of Coach Wachter's men until the last whistle.

The large Yale Gymnasium with its high baskets greatly handicapped the Freshmen, and in spite of their fighting attack they could not get within accurate shooting distance of the basket, while the Blue forwards circled the 1924 guards for repeated tosses. At half time the score stood 13-10 with the Crimson Yearlings trailing.

Coming out at the beginning of the second period with unexpected strength, the Crimson was able to cage two baskets before the offense of the Yale Freshmen was started, and it was only by a series of spectacular long shots that they managed to regain their lead.

The summary: HARVARD 1924.  YALE 1924. Gordon, r.f.  l.g., Munger Stevens, Wasserman, l.f.  r.g., Haas Sipp, c.  c., Pite Black, Wasserman Gehrke, r.g.  l.f., Shoonmaker, Fraser Rudofsky, l.g.  r.f., Caswell, Vanalstein

Score, Yale Freshmen 25, University 1924 17. Baskets from the floor, Gordon 3, Caswell 3, Black 2, Haas 2, Shoonmaker 2, Stevens, Pite, Vanalstein. Free throws, Pite 7, Gordon 5. Referee, Hoyt. Two twenty-minute periods.