"Big Three" Representation in the Government

COMMENT

For the first time in twenty years Harvard. Yale and Princeton are without any representation in the executive branch of the government. But these three institutions have provided the last three presidents in the order named, so that that they may be said to have done their share. Somebody may rise to remark that no one of these Presidents was a typical product of his alma mater which is probably true at least in the sense that the public imagination attributes characteristics to these three institutions which their representatives in the White House did not display.

People often speak of Harvard "indifference," but no man ever displayed less indifference than Theodore Roosevelt: they speak of Yale aggressiveness and pertinacity, but Mr. Taft could hardly he cartooned with a chip on his shoulder; and as for Princeton people have not commonly visualized the New Jersey institution as mother of cold intellectuals. Now if Mr. Wilson had been a graduate of Harvard and Mr. Roosevelt of Yale and Mr. Wilson had been a graduate of Harvard and Mr. Roosevelt of Yale, and Mr. Taft of Princeton, we might have seen, or at least seemed to see, the relation between a President's adult characteristics and his scholastic training, for as the twig is bent so is the tree inclined. Boston Herald