SHOWS POSSIBILITY OF ANOTHER GERMAN WAR

GERMANS STILL THINK VICTORY THEIRS, NOT ALLIES

Unless the present administration advance and active interest in the international affairs of Europe, another war, a war that would mean practically the destruction of civilization, will have only comparatively slight obstacles in its way. This is the strong belief of Major Herbert S. Johnson '91 who, sensing in the common spirit and ambition of the German people a further challenge for the supremacy of the earth, has felt it his duty to warn us of danger; he has given up the ministry to do this more efficiently. From may, 1919, through the summer months, Major Johnson worked for the Red Cross in Czecho-Slovakia, in a region between Germany and Russia and within four hours of a the German border. There, among a population of over three million Germans, he had the opportunity to study their character, thoughts and tendencies.

"The Germans have no realization of an Allied victory in the late war," he said, "most of them honestly credit themselves with victory. They nurture now a spirit of unquenchable ambition, they are formulating plans for further conquest, of which the power will come from Russia, that vast expanse of chose and weakness, of fertility and strength, to the East.

"Germany has always mothered an interest in Russia, the hope of her is in Russia, and if permitted to express that hope, she could recuperate from her late losses within twenty years and prepare for an indefinite period of war. From Russia's mines unlimited coal and iron could be extracted, from her soil foodstuffs and timber to supply the entire German nation. No longer would she be dependent upon England and South America, but quite self-sufficient. If allowed to press on in this direction she would have every incentive to attack Great Britain, France and Italy, then Further India and China.

"Germany's indemnity hangs heavy on her head--it is a huge indemnity. Would she not leap at a chance to cancel it? Moral influence would be no deterrent; and furthermore Germany's desire for world domination is not gone, nor is it dormant. So evident is it, that in the minds of men of closest perception working amidst the Germans over there is the almost universal conviction that the war ended three months too soon. Germany made the War in an attempt for world domination and she still keeps that ambition in her mind, and adds to it according to some inexplicable philosophizing, a further incentive of revenge.

"In support of the opinion that Germany has her eyes on Russia is that fact the armistice, an army of 2000,000 German soldiers marched over into the Baltic States of Russia. The Allies sent a request that it come out but to no avail; the army has not come out. Some of the officers have been leading the Russian attacks against Poland, and the soldiers have scattered and settled down throughout the Baltic provinces. Thus have the Germans maintained a policy of interpenetrability of Russia.

"Another aspect to be noted is that the industrial system of Germany is practically intact, not having suffered as France has. The workers are united for the present government, and willing to work long hours and for low wages. Germany has made a more speedy recovery after the war than the other states of Europe with the exception of Belgium.

Allies Must Work Together

"The prevalent dissension among the Allies in Europe speaks ill for the future. It is necessary in the first place, in order to successfully meet a repetition of Germany's last attack, for the Allies to be in complete accord, domestically and internationally. The disagreement in policy between England and France, the labor troubles in Great Britain, and the Irish situation all strengthen our sense of danger. English labor is unfriendly with all except Russian Sovietism.

"The principal need of the time is the development of a spirit of cooperation among the Allies in Europe. If this can be attained the particular means in assisting them can be devised by the leading men of our country under the guidance of the new President. His apparent attitude at present favors playing the game with Europe,' and with men like Hoover and Hughes behind him we may expect a change in the active foreign policy of the government. The future of the world lies in the hands of the United States. We can control Germany without doing her injustice, and compel her to live up to the terms of her agreement. Furthermore the combination of Great Britain, France and the United States would be invincible."