RHODES SCHOLARSHIP REQUIREMENTS GIVEN

ELECTION HELD DECEMBER 3

All members of the University who wish to be candidates for the Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford for the year 1922-23 may put in their applications at President Lowell's office any time between now and October 8, 1921. In former years applications to President Lowell have had to be made some time during the spring, but the elections for 1922-23 have been postponed several months and arrangements have therefore been made allowing men to delay their decisions till the end of the summer vacation if they so wish.

The stipend of a Rhodes scholarship is normally 300 pounds a year, but until further notice scholars will receive a bonus of 50 pounds per annum. A scholarship is tenable for three years, subject to the continued approval of the College at Oxford of which the scholar is a member. To be eligible for a Rhodes Scholarship in 1922-23 a man must be "a citizen of the United States, with at least five years' domicile, and unmarried; he must have been born between October 1, 1897, and October 1, 1903; and by October 1, 1922, he must have completed at least his Sophomore year in a college or university of recognized standing.

Candidates Apply by States

A candidate must apply for the state in which he ordinarily has his private home, or for any state in which he has received at least two years of his college education before applying. Hence in submitting his name to President Lowell, each applicant is asked to tell in what state he wishes to be a candidate. With his application must be submitted his birth certificate; a record, certified by the Registrar or some other responsible official, of the course of study which he has taken up, together with the grades; a statement by himself of his general activities and interests in college and his proposed line of study at Oxford; and not less than five references.

The qualities which are considered in making the selection of the Rhodes Scholars are defined as follows: "1. Qualities of manhood, force of character, and leadership. 2. Literary and scholastic ability and attainments. 3. Physical vigor, as shown by interest in outdoor sports or in other ways." When the time for making applications to President Lowell expires on October 8, 1921, he will select from among the applicants an indefinite number to nominate for the scholarships, selecting these men on the basis of the qualities above mentioned. In every state there is a State Committee of Selection, and to these Committees President Lowell will send his nominations. The final selections will be made by the State Committees on December 3, 1921; and if a suitable candidate offers, there will be one scholarship filled for the year 1922-1923 from every state in the Union except the following sixteen: Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming. The qualifying examination formerly required has been abandoned.

Men who are interested in the Rhodes Scholarships may obtain further information by applying at President Lowell's office, 5 University Hall, or from Professor R. K. Hack, 39 Kirkland street, Cambridge.

The opportunities that are open to Rhodes Scholars at Oxford are boundless. Normally he becomes a member of one of the twenty odd colleges which make up the university. The average college has only two hundred members; so he finds himself in a social group that is small enough to assure him the opportunity of gaining a personal acquaintance with his fellows. The bulk of these will naturally be English and Scotch, but he will find among them students from the British colonies, and many others from the continent of Europe and the Orient.

Educationally too Oxford has much to offer him. Most Americans who enter as undergraduates are excused from the work of the first year and begin at once on an "Honor School" a broad course of reading and study in some branch of learning carried on for two full years under the personal direction of a "tutor." Among these schools the oldest and most famous is Literae Humaniones (Classics, and Philosophy). Others are Modern History, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Theology, English and Modern Languages. After two years at one of these the student is tested by a series of comprehensive examinations, and placed as a "first," "second," "third," or "fourth," according to his attainment or ability. All these lead to the B.A. degree. For those who wish to do graduate work there are the degrees of B.C.L., B.Sc., and B.Litt., in law, science, and history and literature respectively, and recently the Ph.D. has been established as well.