SUNDAY TENNIS

As long as the law of Massachusetts forbade sports on the Sabbath, the University could hardly have acted otherwise than close its athletic equipment on the seventh day. All this has been changed with the legalizing last year of Sunday games. The University has recognized this change by keeping the squash courts open throughout the week, there being no particular reason for preventing a student from exercising on Sunday simply because he chose to play squash, rather than indulge in a back-lot baseball game.

Nor can there be any good reason for preventing tennis players from using the courts at Jarvis Field on Sunday. Of all spring sports tennis claims the largest following, too large, in fact, for the equipment which is by no means niggardly. The courts are so crowded during the week, with so much necessary waiting in line, that some provision should be made to satisfy as far as possible a demand that exceeds the supply.

One step towards this result has already been taken by limiting the holding of courts to one hour. Of even greater service would be the opening of Jarvis Field to Sunday players. No doubt the athletic committee is willing to do its best for the tennis enthusiasts, who are so numerous that any reasonable request from them demands a hearing.