BOTH 1924 DEBATING TEAMS DEFEATED IN TRIANGULAR MATCH

DOMINION GOVERNMENT FOR IRISH SUBJECT OF DISCUSSION

In the Freshman Triangular, debate last night, both the University teams lost on a split decision of the judges. Princeton won in Sanders Theatre, but lost at home, giving Yale the honors for this year's debate.

In the University-Princeton Freshman debate last night in Sanders Theatre on the question, "Resolved, That the interests of the Irish people will be best furthered by the establishment of a dominion form of government for Ireland", the Princeton yearlings won on a split decision of the three judges. The presiding officer of the debate was Homer Albers, Dean of the Boston University Law School, and the judges were Professor Frank Simpson, the Reverend Fletcher Parker and Mr. Charles Howard Walker.

The University Freshmen had the negative side of the question to defend, and the debate brought out the following main arguments:

H. M. Owen -- First Affirmative

Dominion form of government such as is in practice in Canada may not be a perfect solution of Ireland's difficulties, but it is the most practical proposal yet put forward; it is better than "home rule", and better in the case of Ireland, than a republic. A confederation of provinces into a national union such as would give Ireland absolute control over internal affairs would solve the problem of Ulster, and would give the Irish people all the advantages of a free and independent government.

H. S. Stamats -- First Negative

There are fundamental differences between Canadian and Irish problems such that dominion government as applied in Canada would not fit Ireland's case. The negative believes that such a government would not be to the nest interests of Ireland because England cannot understand Ireland's problems, and because dominion rule is not acceptable to Irish people. Different conceptions of law make mutual understanding impossible and checks which the home government exercises over her dominions make dominion government unacceptable. These three checks are the appointment of the Governor-general, absolute control over foreign affairs, and veto power over any legislation which the dominion parliament may pass.

R. B. Keney -- Second Affirmative

The affirmative believes that the dominion form of government is the best possible solution, not only because it would give Ireland absolute control over internal affairs, but also because it would secure her from outside interference. It would insure freedom from supporting imperial establishments and would give Ireland full benefit of such establishments.

The two power of the home government insures stability in legislation and is a safeguard against the follies of a people unskilled in politics.

M. E. Felcone -- Second Negative

Besides being unacceptable to Ireland, dominion rule would not work; first because three necessary conditions are lacking, the mutuality, good will, and veneration for the Empire which other successful dominions have; second, because of the probable abuse of the three checks on the government which the English government would wield. Dominion rule in Ireland would be a mockery of dominion rule in successful colonies.

H. B. Guthrie -- Third Affirmative

The affirmative again requests the negative for an alternative to the proposition in question.

The form of government proposed by the affirmative would solve the greatest of Irish difficulties, namely, the Ulster problem. With a central legislature in Dublin, and subordinate ones in the various provinces which would settle affairs pertinent to themselves, Ulster's problem would be solved. It is not a spirit of independence which animates Irishmen, but a spirit of hatred towards England.

M. J. Shagan -- Third Negative

The establishment of an independent Ireland is the alternative the negative proposes as against dominion rule. English rule in Ireland has always been destructive of the things which Americans fought for in the Revolution, namely, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The objection to a Federated Republic is that Ireland is not economically able to support establishments necessary for such a government. But why would Ireland need an army or a navy? It certainly is not to the interest of England to allow a hostile power in Ireland. And if she did need these weapons, it is fallacious to say that she could not support them. It is only British domination that has kept down Irish economic prosperity. Ireland has been kept stagnant economically because England feared her rivalry. History shows that when England's hand has been removed Ireland has prospered, as under the Grattan Parliament in the 19th century.

Negative Rebuttal

Irish welfare has always been sacrificed to British interests. The parallel drawn by the affirmative between Ireland and Canada is fallacious because of two things: first, the aspirations of the Irish are for independence which Canadians never desired; second, Irish and British interests conflict in a way in which the Dominion's interests never have. There is no guarantee that the veto power under dominion government would not operate with just as complete oppression as at present obtains.

Affirmative Rebuttal

The proposal of the negative that Ireland be given independence would not work because of the lack of a capacity for government in the Irish people. A republic would not give Ireland economic prosperity, stability, nor protection. What Ireland desires is not relevant to the argument; her best interests are what the case is concerned with. The arguments of the negative fall because their alternative proposal is impossible