47 WORKSHOP PRESENTS "A PUNCH FOR JUDY" IN BOSTON THIS EVENING

PERFORMANCE FOR BENEFIT OF RADCLIFFE ENDOWMENT

With the three-act comedy, "A Punch for Judy", as its final production open to the public this year the "47 Workshop under the direction of Professor G. P. Baker '87, will give a performance for the benefit of the Radcliffe Endowment Fund tonight at 8 o'clock in the Tremont Theatre. This is the only opportunity that members of the University and the public in general have to see a Workshop production in this vicinity. Tickets for the performance from fifty cants to $2.50 may be obtained at the Box Office of the Tremont Theatre.

"A Punch for Judy" was written by Philip Barry, Yale '19 and a graduate student at the University 1919-20; and made a tremendous hit on the tour just completed by the Workshop. "A comedy which deserves a future" was the comment of one paper; "A play with a real punch" the praise of another; while the New York Herald said that this production "turned the Harvard audience Crimson with laughter."

Miss Dorothy Sands, Radcliffe '12, will take the leading feminine role in "A Punch for Judy". Miss Sands, who will play "Judy" tonight, has acted for many years both with the Workshop and various Radcliffe amateur organizations, and she has been offered positions with several prominent theatrical companies. Miss Ruth Delano as Alice Corey also has an important part in tonight's play.

The leading male part will be filled by J. W. D. Seymour '17, who will play the role of "Jim Storey", a youthful lawyer; Mr. Seymour has had two one-act plays produced in Baltimore, and recently created the part of "Kari" in "Eyvind of the Hills", which was recently given in New York City.

The plot of "A Punch for Judy" opens in a small up-state town of New York. Jim Storey, a flourishing young lawyer, returns after a prolonged stay from home to find that his fiancee, Judy, has shifted her affections to Bryce Valentine, a poet, who, like many others of his calling, wanders about with his head in the clouds. Jim is rather amused at this state of affairs at first, but later rebukes the faithless Judy for her fickleness. She, in a rash moment, dares here former sweetheart to prevent her marriage to Bryce.

Jim Storey, with his sprouting blood aroused, takes the dare and forthwith sues Judy for breach of promise. After a day has been set for the trial of the case. Jim secretly visits several old and trusty friends and persuades them to act as judges at the trial. He succeeds in his purpose and the courtroom is packed with a mock jury, which rules that the unsuspecting Judy shall pay to Jim $100,000 as the price of her broken word.

Judy soon learns of the trick played upon her, rages with all the fury of a woman, and swears eternal hatred for Jim. The latter, however, is not daunted by this momentary outbreak and daunted by this momentary outbreak and continues his well-planned campaign with fearless energy. Judy finally repents and the two are reunited.