GYM TEAM SEASON NOT ENTIRELY SUCCESSFUL

Injuries Made 1921 Season a Difficult One--Yale Alone Defeated by Crimson Gymnasts--Lose to Dartmouth, M. I. T., and Princeton

The second season of the University gym team, recently drawn to a close by a victory over Yale, has been a very instructive and difficult one. Beginning on November 15, when twelve upper class-men and eight Freshmen responded to the first call, the work of several men back from the 1920 squad showed up in a very promising way. Of especial note was that of Kenneth Campbell '21, M. H. Bailey '23, J. R. Weist '23, F. D. Ingraham '23 and F. K., Safford '23.

Of the Freshmen, H. A. Wood, T. D. Blair-Smith and A. W. Dole were the best, but the formation of a 1924 team was impossible, due to the lack of experience of the yearlings in most of the events.

After the preliminary two weeks of getting into working form, the squad made satisfactory progress in all events except the tumbling and rings; here the team did not have the required space at its disposal, due to conflicts with University basketball practice. The use of the flying rings especially was denied the team on account of this.

Under the direction of Coach Seikel certain eligible men attained proficiency in quite advanced work, especially in the horizontal and parallel bars, and J. R. Weist '23 developed into a promising tumbler.

Unfortunately F. D. Ingraham '23 was injured and two very valuable men became ineligible just before the first of the scheduled meets, and the team felt this loss severely in the first triangular contest with Princeton and M. I. T., making a poor third.

Coach Hugo Seikel, in spite of discouraging handicaps, turned out a successful team with the material on hand. Marked improvement was evident in the Dartmouth meet on March 5, although the team was defeated by the score of 34 1-2 19 1-2, the University failing to place in the rings and tumbling.

In the final meet of the season, a triangular one with Yale and M. I. T., the University led until the last event, tumbling, when M. I. T. moved into first place. The University team, however was victor over Yale, the only minor sport team of the winter to be found in this position.

Under Captain M. H. Bailey Jr. '23 and Manager G. C. Eaton '23, next year's team promises to meet with success. Among those who will return are J. K. Bragger '22, L. H. Nichols '22, F. D. Ingraham '23, F. K. Safford '23, F. J. Wells '23, H. A. Wood '24, T. D. Blair Smith '24, A. W. Dole '24 and W. N. Tuttle '24.